Waste Carrier Licence – Don’t feed fly-tippers!

Waste Carrier Licence details: The Sudbury House Clearance website is part of the Essex House Clearances group of websites, and we are fully licenced under UK environmental legislation with an Upper-Tier waste carrier licence (broker and carrier). This is a legal requirement for any organisation or individual who offers any form of property clearance service. A ‘lower tier’ licence is only legally acceptable if the organisation clearing your property is a registered charity / voluntary group.

Don't risk having a fly-tipper clear your property!

Why does a waste licence matter?

Since covid-related lockdowns began, Essex and Suffolk have been plagued by fly-tippers, unethical individuals (and sometimes firms) offering dirt-cheap clearance services, taking your money and then dumping your belongings in the countryside.

Issued by the UK Environmental Agency, waste carrier licences add traceability and require holders to dispose of unwanted items at registered recycling stations (where the licence must be shown and the transfer recorded). If anyone collects any type of waste from you, they require an upper-tier waste licence by law, which costs only £150 for 3 years.

A (free) lower-tier licence is also available, but these are for businesses which dispose of their own waste – NOT yours, or unless they are a registered charity / voluntary organisation.

The relevance of correct licencing is that if a firm is willing to break the law in order to save £150 for a licence, the chances are they’ll also try to save money on waste disposal (typically £190-200 per ton, which roughly equates to a full 3.5 ton transit-type van load). If you don’t want to be driving along a quiet country lane and find the contents of your property dumped at the side of the road (if contacted by the council or police you’ll need to prove it wasn’t you who dumped it there) you should only deal with properly licenced companies. If you don’t, your dirt-cheap waste removal costs could turn into a very expensive criminal conviction for fly-tipping!

Licences can be checked here: https://environment.data.gov.uk/public-register/view/search-waste-carriers-brokers or you can go straight to our licence by clicking the Gov.uk link below.

Sprinter van for House Clearances

Does your charity need used furniture?

If you run a local registered charity and are happy to accept donations, please get in touch and tell us what you need, what you accept and where. We cannot guarantee to satisfy everybody’s needs but we’ll help where we can. In addition to furniture we can also be asked to take away clothing and other household effects. To discuss your needs, drop us an email and we’ll get in touch as soon as we can.

Sudbury House Clearances – Essex House Clearances

Contact Tel: 07497 882128